BDO continues the expansion of Private Client Services globally
09 October 2016
BDO has announced two key international appointments as part of its continuing expansion of private client business across the global BDO network.
UK-based tax partners Wendy Walton and Richard Montague have been named Head of BDO Global Private Client Services and Chair of BDO’s Global Private Client Strategy Group respectively.
John Wonfor, BDO’s Global Head of Tax, said: “The tax affairs of HNWIs are not limited to geographic boundaries. The BDO network, which spans 154 countries, works to provide the very best advice to clients, regardless of where in the world they are. These appointments greatly enhance the focus and direction of BDO’s global private client business, and will encourage further investment into our private client offering in key financial jurisdictions around the globe.”
Wendy is a senior tax partner in Private Client Tax Services based in BDO UK. She advises high net worth individuals on their worldwide tax position, with an emphasis on non-domiciled individuals and UK and international families with complex tax issues. Previously head of BDO’s London and then national Private Client practice, Wendy has been working with the BDO network since 2011 to develop BDO’s global private client business.
Richard is a BDO UK partner in Private Client Tax Services based in London and heads the firm’s International Private Wealth offering. He concentrates on a wide range of private client advisory services with an emphasis on international wealth structuring, particularly non-UK domiciled individuals. He has been working with BDO private client teams in more than 50 countries for a number of years to both promote BDO’s global private client capability and ensure a consistently high level of service throughout the private client network.
These appointments come as private client tax specialists from BDO firms worldwide meet in London for a 2 day international conference. The conference provides professional advisers and their clients with a high level overview of tax regimes around the world, a key consideration for individuals looking to move country: a topic discussed more widely in the BDO Global Opportunities Report to be released shortly.
Within the last 12 months BDO has announced a series of investments toward its ambition to be the number one truly global private client team:
- In June 2016, BDO USA announced the expansion of its New York practice with its merger with private client specialists, Charles A Barragato & Co (CAB) – an addition of 38 people, including 6 partners. BDO USA also announced the appointment of Jeff Kane in a new role as national managing partner for private client services
- In October 2015, former Frank Hirth Managing Partner, Mark Walters, joined BDO London as a Partner to lead and develop BDO’s US Tax advisory services to internationally mobile private clients, families and entrepreneurs with a US connection, in UK and in Europe. Mark was joined by Andrew Harrison as a director
- In early 2016, BDO Zurich named Stefan Pillar as lead for Private Client Tax in Switzerland, supported by Tom Kaufmann of the Lucerne office
- In January 2016, BDO Hong Kong officially launched their Private Client Services practice with a dedicated team, web site and materials. BDO Hong Kong is continuing to sponsor the STEP Asia conference in Hong Kong
- In November 2015, Kylie Luo joined BDO Singapore to lead and build the Private Client Services practice there – a key investment in the Asia Pacific region.